8-year-old boy plays harp for cancer patients as his mother undergoes treatment

An 8-year-old harpist is soothing souls at an Indianapolis hospital by performing as his mother undergoes treatment for breast cancer.

Martin Williamson goes to Community Hospital East with his mom, dad and two sisters, playing impromptu concerts in the lobby for patients and staff members. "I go into treatment, and when I come out they are here, and people are talking with them," said Tammy Williamson, Martin's mother.


YouTube link.

"When people see me they say, 'Are you his mother?' Somehow that makes me special because I'm his mother. I'll take that. It's a very big blessing to have a family." Staff members say the performance is therapeutic for patients and for those who work long hours caring for them.

"This is an unbelievable gift to the staff here, the other patients that are here and, most importantly, to his mother. It's huge," said Dr. Robert Goulet, medical director with Community Breast Care.